Thursday, July 21, 2011

Best Breakfast Recipes

"Breakfast is a notoriously difficult meal to serve with a flourish." Clement Freud
If I have one hard to break flaw it is that of an overachiever.  While this is a great quality to have at work it sometimes interferes with everyday life.  A great example of this is last week.  For those of you who read my blog regularly you know that I haven't written in about a week and here's why.  Last week I was preparing for a high school camp that I had organized and found out mid-way through the week that my husband had "signed me up" to make breakfast for his office.  Not only was my week busy but I had a ministry I served with until 8 PM on Thursday and I had to be at work at 5 AM Friday and the breakfast was Friday morning.  Needless to say I ended up getting about 2 hours of sleep Thursday night because yes, I am an overachiever.  While most people could have said go pick up some doughnuts or grab something from Publix.  I would have been horrified for my husband to show up at his office with something store bought (trait #1 of an overachiever).  So instead I stayed up all night making what I thought would be good to take to his office.  I then had to figure out how to keep it warm from the time I left my house at 4:30 until he left at 8:30 (yes I was immensely jealous of the fact that he slept 4 hours longer after I left the house).  Due to this I decided to leave some of the items in the oven with the oven on off (after I had used it to bake) and my egg casserole was a little overcooked, however, I convinced myself not to make another one (trait #2 of an overachiever) and just let it be.  Shale did tell me the office loved the breakfast and I figured I would share my recipes with you.  I hope you get to enjoy them on a leisurely Saturday morning while you get to sip your coffee and read while they bake preferably in the fabulous little turquoise nook area I found in the picture above (instead of running around the house baking while throwing on makeup like I did). 


Nana's Pluck-It Cake (aka monkey bread)
Ingredients
4 cans of Pillsbury original biscuits  (the small ones not grands)
2 tsp cinnamon
2 sticks of butter
2 cups of brown sugar
*you can also add 1/4 cup of chopped pecans but my husband doesn't like nuts, just add the nuts to the sugar mixture

preheat oven to 300 degrees
grease a bundt pan with Crisco
cut biscuits into quarters
melt butter and stir in cinnamon and brown sugar
place a small amount of sugar mixture in bottom of bundt pan
layer a thin layer of biscuits
repeat sugar mix
repeat layers finishing with biscuits on top
bake in oven for 45-50 minutes
remove and allow to cool for ~10 minutes
flip onto plate and serve


Easy Breakfast Egg Casserole
Ingredients:
1 lb ground sausage
6 slices of bread
butter
3 cups cheddar cheese
10 eggs
4 cups half and half
2 tsp salt
2 tsp dry mustard

Cook sausage
butter bread (top and bottom) and cut off crusts
place bread into the bottom of a 9x13 pan
scatter sausage on top of bread
sprinkle cheese on top
in a bowl mix together eggs, half and half, salt and dry mustard
pour over cheese
cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight

In morning:
preheat oven to 350 degrees
bake for 40-45 minutes (covered with foil)
serve and enjoy!



Don't forget you can get posts via email rather than having to check back every day...
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment