Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Salsa Grilled Chicken

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it.
Russel Baker

Cute Beach Tote
This recipe is the perfect summer recipe and I have to admit it was one of those that I just completely stumbled upon.   I was cleaning out my freezer the other night (I make and freeze a lot of stuff) and came across a huge pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts that I needed to cook.  I looked in the pantry and new I wanted to make something that had a bit of lime in it so I threw this concoction together and it turned out wonderfully!  I made it along with a big crock pot full of black beans and rice (recipe coming tomorrow) and it made an amazing dinner!  The color of the chicken is gorgeous and the flavor just perfect for a summer cookout!  Most of the ingredients you probably have in your pantry except maybe the Sazon.  However, if you haven't ever used Sazon I highly encourage it.  A few years back when I was in college I became best friends with Erika.  Erika is Cuban and began to teach me how to make some amazing food.  In one of her grandmothers Picadillo recipes it called for Sazon.  That was my first experience with this fabulous Spanish spice.   Not only does it deliver great flavor but it turns everything a beautiful orange color.  It is great in everything from rice and beans to chicken or beef.  If you're anything like me you're probably intimidated by new spices (one reason I still haven't posted an Indian recipe on here... curry completely intimidates me).  However, with this spice I encourage you to throw all caution to the wind and try it.  It's mild enough that it won't ruin your meal but the color is so beautiful it will definitely pump up the appeal factor. 


Salsa Grilled Chicken
Ingredients:
2 limes (1 juiced the other set aside)
2 chicken breasts
1 package of Sazon (Spanish seasoning find out more here)
hot sauce (Tabasco)
1/8 tsp cumin
1/2 bottle of salsa
1 tbsp lemon juice
In a large ziplock bag combine juice of 1 lime, sazon, hot sauce (I used 3 drops), cumin, salsa and lemon juice.  
Mix together by shaking bag
Add chicken breasts and allow to sit for about 30 minutes (don't marinate too long as the acidity in the lemon/lime will begin to cook the chicken)
Preheat grill
Grill off chicken until cooked thoroughly and juices run clear
During last 5 minutes slice extra lime and place on grill fruit side down to get char marks/taste
Serve with half a lime and 1 chicken breast



Don't forget you can get posts via email rather than having to check back every day...
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment