Friday, October 7, 2011

Anyone can make Tiramisu


Origin of TIRAMISU
Italian tiramisù, from tirami su!, literally, pull me up!

Are there certain foods that intimidate you?  I know for me I have several.  My current fear is Indian food, which I'm trying to muster up enough courage to get over.  I have learned from the past those I'm most intimidated to try cooking are ones I end up falling in love with.  For the longest time I was completely at loss for how to even begin cooking Greek food.  Then I experimented with a few recipes and fell in love.  Another past fear was Tiramisu.  I loved it in recipes but had no clue how to start making it.  Then I began looking online and found quite a few simple recipes.  I took what I liked from all of them and put together an amazing recipe that I use over and over again.  This is a great one to make in advance and take to a friends home.  It does need to sit at least 4 hours to overnight so it is a great dish to make for parties the day before.  I can't wait to share it with you and hope you love it as much as I do!!!



Easy Tiramisu
makes about 8-10 servings



Ingredients

  • 6 egg yolks
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 pound mascarpone cheese (you can find this in your specialty food case)
  • 1 1/2 cups strong espresso, cooled
  • 2 teaspoons dark rum
  • 1/2 angel food cake (I use a pre-made one from Publix)
  • 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate - grated

Directions

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer with whisk attachment, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale, about 5 minutes. Do not try to shortcut this step.  How well you beat your eggs will determine how well your final product holds together.
Add mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon of espresso and mix until thoroughly combined.
Using an electric knife thinly slice the angel food cake.
In a small shallow dish, add remaining espresso and rum.Dip cake into espresso for only 5 seconds. Place the cake peices on the bottom of a 9x9 inch baking dish.
Spread evenly 1/2 of the mascarpone mixture over the cake. Arrange another layer of soaked cake and top with remaining mascarpone mixture.
Cover tiramisu with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, up to 8 hours.
Before serving, sprinkle with chocolate shavings.


No comments:

Post a Comment