Sunday, January 9, 2011

The 3 Musketeers (and no I'm not talking about the candy)

Friendship isn't a big thing - it's a million little things.

Over this weekend I was able to hang out with my two best friends Amanda and Caitlin.  Together we have been friends since high school and although we now live far apart we love being able to get together and spend time together.  I thought as a tribute to them I'd include some of their favorite recipes on this blog post...

Every party I would have at my house Caitlin would make this outrageous cheese dip.  It was the hit of the party, especially with the guys.  It's spicy, meaty and cheesy all at once (you can see why they liked it) but best of all it's super easy.

Caitlin's Famous Cheese Dip (adapted from Caitlin's sis-in-laws recipe)

2 blocks of cream cheese
1 can of rotel
1 lb of hot ground sausage

Brown the ground sausage in a pan
After browning transfer the sausage to a crock pot
Add the rest of the ingredients and set crock pot on low
Periodically stir until melted together
Serve with tortilla chips (and if you have a lot of guys make a double recipe)

Amanda was married 2 years ago to a marine and shortly after he was deployed.  During the 9 months that he was gone I remember her saying "I barely ever have to buy groceries because I'm the only one here, so I just eat until absolutely everything is gone then go shopping", and that's Amanda for you!  Now however she has often been cooking some amazing dinner when I've called her at night.  Here is a recipe she says is her favorite.

Amanda's Sour Cream Potatoes  (adapted from her grandmothers recipe)Ingredients:
8-10 med. Potatoes peeled
1 8oz  sour cream
1 8oz cream cheese
1/2 cup butter melted
1/4 cup chopped chives
1 clove garlic minced
2tsp salt
paprika

Cook potatoes about 10min or til soft drain and mash, beat cream cheese into potatoes. Beat until smooth. Add remaining ingredients except paprika.  Mix well. Spoon mixture into a lightly buttered 2qt casserole dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30min.

Although I just got to hang out with them Friday I already miss them terribly!  They came into my life in a time when their friendship was so needed and they've stuck by me ever since.  They really and truly are such a joy and encouragement to be around.  I hope you enjoy their recipes!
Ingredients:

No comments:

Post a Comment