Friday, March 11, 2011

First Friday Interview

Here's my second surprise of the week.  I personally love different cooking styles from different people and I wanted to be able to share that with you.   Although I'm glad you enjoy reading my perspective on what I like I also wanted to be able to give you a different perspective on cooking from others that might cook differently than me.  This could be a challenging undertaking some weeks so bear with me as I get started and try to update this portion weekly.  For the first interview I decided to ask someone who I go to with questions when I want to know how to cook "properly".  Allison is my youngest sister and let me tell you she knows her cooking.  While I may be one who likes to expiriment she is definitely the one who likes to follow the recipe exactly but really put good technique to use.  While my dishes may taste great and not look so hot her dishes always come out immaculate!  I mean who else do I know that peels her celery sticks so that you don't have that stringy gross stuff!!!  She's pretty much amazing at that!  After High School Allie attended Le Cordon Blue for culinary school.  After graduating with her culinary degree she went on to work for the Ritz Carlton in Naples, FL and eventually Seasons52 in Orlando.  I hope you enjoy her perspective as much as I do!!!



Friday Interview with Seasons52 cook

Name: Allison G

Profession: Line Cook/Student 

What’s the most challenging thing about your job schedule and cooking/eating/etc: I work all nights 5 days a week. I'm talking like until one in the morning. I come to work three hours after eating lunch so I get very hungry during my shift. It is hard to not eat bad foods during work and especially after work. My job schedule, balanced with my classes, is difficult.   

Why you like/love to cook: I've always been good at cooking. I like how I know that certain things just go together. Most of all I love the looks on peoples face as they try my food.

Who taught you how to cook:  My mother and grandmas taught me how to cook. Then culinary school skilled me.

If you had  a cooking show what would you name it (based on your perspective of cooking):  I have no clue!   Something to do with being from scratch yet not taking a long time??? Any Ideas?!?!

Favorite Cuisine Type:  Italian. Yum!!

Favorite “healthy” food: Sautéed vegetables

Favorite thing to cook: Homemade pasta with my tomato sauce. Fresh bread with my garlic butter.

Favorite Spice/Flavor: Basil

Favorite Food: Pizza, horrible I know but I love it!

Favorite Sweet Treat: Ice cream

Favorite “fall back” food (that thing you make if you just need something to fall back on): Tacos, my quick taco beef recipe is such a favorite and better than the packets.

Secret Indulgence: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream

Best tip you ever learned about cooking: How to make a roux. I use it in just about every sauce and soup I make.

What you wish other people knew about cooking: How to properly hold a knife, so they won't cut themselves.

What do you think is the most challenging part of cooking: Knowing the proper temperatures of meats.

Favorite Recipe: My grandmother Lovelace's Strawberry Cake recipe that she perfected with me right before she passed. (sorry no recipe it's a family secret!)

Any other questions you'd like to hear from our friday interviews?  I'm open to suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment