Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Easy Summer Berry Cobbler

Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.
Erma Bombeck

Vintage Butterprint Pyrex
I thought the quote above was cute.  I am one of those people who cannot keep desserts in my house.  I honestly will eat them until they are gone.  There might have been an occasion or more than one during our first year of marriage when my husband held up an empty dish in shock to ask if I had ate all of the brownies, because he had only had 2. I try to practice willpower but when it comes to brownies it's just like everything else goes out the window.  That is why I try to give away any desserts I make.  My waistline and running time cannot afford to have dessert every night (especially if I eat the whole pan).  I also hate going over to someones house to hang out and not bringing anything.  S0 a lot of times I'll bring a dessert along.  That way I get to bake some, I get to have some and I get to leave it there to tempt them (evil laugh).  In all honesty though I do like to bake I just try not to do it too often.  However, this past weekend when we were going to a friends house I realized I had no butter, no cake mix, no brownie mix, nothing just a few bags of frozen blueberries I'd picked a month ago.  So I tried mixing a little of this and a little of that and I had an amazing cobbler result from all that experimenting.  I had to share it because summer is the perfect time to make berry cobblers as the berries are so fresh.  I also think these would make great mason gar desserts.  Mini cobblers in Mason Jars topped with vanilla ice cream... sounds like a perfect southern summer dessert to me! Speaking of berries, thank you to everyone who filled out the survey last week.  It showed that the overwhelming majority considers cherries their favorite summer fruit!  I completely agree!!! Enjoy your summer dessert, don't eat too much!



Summer Berry Cobbler
Ingredients:

Berry Mixture:

4 cups of berries (fresh or frozen) (I used blueberries and sliced strawberries)
2 TBSP white sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
pinch of salt (super small amount to bring out flavors maybe 1/16 tsp)

Stir In after berries cook: 1 TBSP corn starch

Topping:
1 1/4 cup Bisquick

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup half and half
Cobbler Filling
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Mix together berry mixture and place in a small sauce pan
Cook until berries start to become tender
Remove from heat and stir in 1 tbsp corn starch 
(your berries will look like the picture to the right)
Remove and pour into a greased square Pyrex pan
Mix together topping ingredients
Pour over berry mixture (covering all)
Bake for about 30 minutes or until knife comes out clean when poked into topping
*may need to cover with foil if the topping starts to get too brown




No comments:

Post a Comment