Thursday, November 11, 2010

Almond, Coconut, Chocolate Protein Bars

Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon. 
Doug Larson

Target Colander
I'm not even going to try to guess how many people won't end up making these simply because they are protein bars :) Trust me I know I was one of those.  However, I started running a while back and realized that in order to keep your legs from hurting the next day you really need some protein.  However, I'm not a big fan of meat and you can only eat sooo many eggs before you never want to see another one.  For a while I switched to making protein shakes but had to put so much stuff in them to mask the chalky taste and I didn't really enjoy drinking my food.  I like the act of eating food, why would I want to miss out on that by drinking it?  Didn't make much sense to me.  Well I'm running in a long race soon and wanted to try out some new foods that I could make at home (to save some money) but also taste good.  I looked at a TON of protein bar recipes before I found one that actually looked good.  I made them and they were good.  The texture is a little different (think cross between a power bar and a brownie).  But the taste is great!  Plus they're high in protein and not so high in calories so they're a great take a long snack food that will keep you full!



Almond, Coconut, Chocolate Protein Bars
Ingredients:

3/4 cup dry quinoa (can find at your local health food store, one of my favorite super foods!)
1/2 cup dates chopped or pitted
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed or flaxseed meal
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chocolate protein powder
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/8 cup chopped almonds
1/8 cup shredded coconut


Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Line a small baking dish with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray
Cook Quinoa according to directions, allow to cool so you can handle it
In a food processor process until relatively smooth quinoa, dates, honey, veg. oil, flaxseed, almond extract and salt
In another bowl mix together protein powder, flour, coconut and almonds
Combine together wet and dry ingredients (very thick dough)
Spread in baking dish
Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until firm
Allow this to cool completely before cutting into 12 bars
This can be stored up to a week in an airtight container or freeze for up to 3 months

(adapted from recipe found here)

In the original recipe these were the stats: (only difference is the amount of mixins and I used honey instead of agave nectar)
Nutrition facts (with chocolate chip and coconut option): Calories: 184, Total Fat: 5.4 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 0 g, Sodium: 37 mg,  Potassium: 113 mg, Total Carbs: 29 g, Fiber: 3 g, : Sugars: 16 g, Protein: 7.3 g.

No comments:

Post a Comment