Friday, January 21, 2011

Day 3 of Oatmeal Challenge... Dates are Great!

Oatmeal makes a filling, healthy breakfast.
Ruth Frechman


Lenox Chirp Plates
bedbathandbeyond.com
Today I woke up and realized I didn't have any fresh or frozen fruit for my oatmeal (yes I desperately need to go to the grocery store).  I also didn't have what I wanted to try an idea for a savory oatmeal (recipe coming soon).  So I scrummaged through my pantry to try and find something worthy of covering up the oatmeal texture I hate.  I found a package of dates I had bought a while back and came up with this recipe, and I have to admit it is my favorite so far!!! Want more info about how dates are a good source of fiber, vitamins and low in calories and fat?  Look Here  On a side note, don't you just love these dishes??  I try to find something turquoise to put on each post and I absolutely love these... too bad my kitchen/house is tuscan colors of orange/red/brown... these would definitely clash!



Dates are Great Oatmeal: (Courtney's Dish)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup of oatmeal
3/4 cup of water
1 small handful of dates
1 tsp maple syrup (I used light aunt jemima)
2 tsp brown sugar substitute
Preheat oven to 350
Cook oatmeal according to package in water
Meanwhile spray a ramekin (or any other oven safe small dish) with non-stick spray
Add maple syrup, 1 tsp of brown sugar substitute and dates
Stir together
Transfer to ramekin
Top with the other tsp of brown sugar substitute
Cook in oven for 10 minutes or until top starts to brown
Remove with caution (HOT) and enjoy!!!




Peach Paradise Oatmeal: (Meredith's Dish)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup of water
1 peach, large dice
Cook oatmeal as directed
Remove from heat
Add peaches and stir
Enjoy for a refreshing breakfast




By the way don't think I've abondoned cooking to just cook oatmeal!  I promise new recipes are coming soon!  I am an event planner for a church full time and have a huge event this week that has taken up all my time so unfortunately the only thing I made this week was roasted chicken and tacos. Something new will come this weekend as I'm sure the husband is tired of having to cook for himself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment