Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal and Blueberry Apple Oatmeal

“Once we sowed wild oats, now we cook them in the microwave.”

Vera Wang for BB&B
I laughed when I read this quote and knew I had to use it for my post.  I do have to admit since starting I have not cooked my oatmeal in the microwave, granted it's only day two but please let me relish in my domesticity of using the stove :)  For those of you who don't know my sister Meredith and I decided to start a 30 day oatmeal challenge (you can see the full story here).  We're on day 2 and have cooked up some delicious concoctions to share with you!  They are both completely different in approach so hopefully it will help give you some variety if you decide to participate in the 30 day challenge also.  ENJOY!!!







Meredith's Oatmeal Bowl
Blueberry Apple Oatmeal - Meredith
Ingredients:
1/2 Cup Oats
1 Apple, diced
1 handful frozen blueberries
Cook oatmeal with water and NO salt according to directions
Meanwhile allow a handful of frozen blueberries to thaw out in a bowl
After oatmeal is done cooking add the blueberries and apple
Stir and enjoy for a refreshing morning dish





Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal - Courtney
Ingredients:
1/2 Cup Oats
1/4 Cup Pumpkin
Courtney's Oatmeal Bowl
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
dash of cloves
1 TBSP splenda brown sugar blend (you can also use regular brown sugar it just adds more sugar)
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1 TBSP protein powder (I used Vanilla Whey)
Cook oats with water as directed
In separate bowl combine pumpkin, spices, brown sugar, protein powder and vanilla extract
Remove oats from heat
Add mixed pumpkin ingredients to the oats
Cook for an additional minute or until warmed through
Enjoy this for a warming "comfort food" breakfast without all the calories!
*if you don't have protein powder or don't want it you can just increase your vanilla extract (since the protein is vanilla flavored it adds a little more depth of vanilla)

What about you? Do you have any good oatmeal recipes we could feature here???

No comments:

Post a Comment