Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Mediterranean Dinner

 "The multiple factors at work in the Mediterranean diet provide health benefits that cannot be replaced by a supplement."

Cute Etsy Recipe Cards
For those of you who don't know me personally I just got married this past May, and I have to tell you I'm so blessed by it.  I had heard stories and watched movies about outrageous in-laws (think Monster-in-law) and was honestly pretty worried about it.  I've been so blessed that my husbands family is nothing like these horrible movie portrayals.  His sisters are much like mine and his parents remind me in many ways of my own parents.  I enjoy that I can hang out with them and feel comfortable being myself.  However, I do not care how nice your in-laws are, it is absolutely STRESSFUL the first time one of them comes over for dinner!  I didn't think it would be because we always have college students and friends over for dinner but it was not the case with the in-laws.  I was picturing in my head that the house wouldn't be clean enough, the food would end up horrible, and the dogs would be more than annoying.  To my relief everything turned out wonderful!  We had Shale's mom over on Saturday night and cooked up some great food on our new grill.  The dogs behaved themselves and the food turned out great.

After having my mother-in-law over that night she was so in love with the biscuits that she posted it on Facebook.  Once others heard about it they wanted the recipe.  I must admit, it is with much hesitancy that I give up these recipes.  Lately I've come to love Mediterranean style cooking.  I love the taste of lemon, olive oil, herbs and sea salt all mix together to provide a wonderfully light tasting dish.  I've tried to incorporate these into my cooking by using the flavors as marinades, sauces, and as you will see, toppings for my food.  I'm hesitant to release the recipes because I'm considering using the biscuit recipe for a recipe contest.   So with reluctance, and excitement because they are excellent I will share.  I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!!!


Our Dinner Spread
Mediterranean Biscuits
Ingredients:
1 can of biscuits (I used Pillsbury grands southern style)
1/4 cup of sun dried tomatoes
1/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese
1 stick of butter (yeah this recipe isn't healthy, but so good!)
1 large garlic clove
pinch of dried basil
pinch of dried oregano
sea salt

Pre-heat oven according to biscuit can
Place biscuits on cookie sheet, press into the middle of each biscuits to make a small well-like indention in them (this will hold the ingredients in)
Melt butter in small saucepan
Biscuit Close Up
Make a paste out of the garlic (see how to do that here)
Add the garlic to the butter and saute for a few seconds
Coarsely chop the sundried tomatoes, add them to butter mixture
Add the feta cheese and herbs to butter mixture
Cook for a few minutes or until cheese begins to melt (don't let cheese melt all the way) and sundried tomatoes start to turn the color of the butter to a brownish-red color
Spoon the mixture into the wells you made in the biscuits (try to leave as much of the butter in the saucepan as you can, you will use this later)
Cook according to directions on biscuit can (until slightly browned on edges)
Remove and brush with remaining butter mixture
Sprinkle sea salt on tops, serve and enjoy!
These make a really impressive dish with little effort!!!


And now for the healthy dish!  You can use any of your favorite vegetables for this!


Grilled Mediterranean Vegetables
Ingredients:
1 lemon (zested and juiced)
3 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp. dried rosemary
sea salt to taste
whatever vegetables you'd like... I used the following:
eggplant
zucchini
green pepper
onion

Zest the lemon (see instructions here on how to)
Juice the lemon
Chop vegetables to like sizes so they cook evenly
In a large bowl mix together vegetables, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and rosemary (do not add salt yet as it will pull the water out of your onions and you'll get soggy onions)
Toss together, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours
Place on grill and grill until slightly charred
Remove and toss with any marinade that is left over
Sprinkle with sea salt and serve
I've also made it with carrots (they add a slightly sweet taste)
I can't wait to try it with some small cherry tomatoes tossed in

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting! I will definitely be making these!! DELICIOUS! You have the art of creatively cooking with ease....and we all reap the benefits of that!!! Thanks for sharing your blog with us!

    ReplyDelete