Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Interview - New York

“They say life's what happens when you're busy making other plans. But sometimes in New York, life is what happens when you're waiting for a table.”
 - Sarah Jessica Parker

I'll be here soon! (Central Park)
I love New York!  I went for the first time almost three years ago in the middle of summer, my husband took me back to visit his sister while we were dating, and I'll be going for a third time at the end of this month!!!  One of my very close friends (Amanda) and I will be going to visit another close friend, Caitlin.  The three of us have been friends since high school, you may have read the story here, and have been trying to plan a girls weekend for a while.  However, this year Caitlin will be moving to Asia, Amanda will be having a baby, and well I'll still be in Tampa so we knew we had to take our trip soon.  Thanks to the amazing sister-in-law, Micah, we won't have to pay to rent a hotel in the city because she has offered for us to stay with her!  You don't have to tell me, I know I have the best in-laws ever!  Micah and I have talked several times about when we'll be staying there and she constantly mentions that due to the great location she lives in her place is smaller.  Lucky for all of us we don't mind close quarters.  The more I thought about it the more I realized she would be the perfect person to ask cooking questions.  Not only is she a fabulous cook she has to be extremely creative to be able to make everything in her small kitchen.  So here's Friday's interview from a New Yorker's perspective!  (By the way I LOVE her last tip!) 

Name: Micah Latter       

Profession: Advertising Sales
 
What’s the most challenging thing about your job schedule and cooking/eating/etc… I wine & dine clients, so I’m used to eating amazing food (not healthy and expensive)

Why you like/love to cook:  I only eat delicious things.  I cook to entertain.  It’s all about presentation and flavor. 

Who taught you how to cook: International Cooking Institute recreational classes in NY and my mom (but only after she took lots of Publix cooking classes)

If you had  a cooking show what would you name it: The Art of Food    

Favorite Cuisine Type: Southern American

Favorite “healthy” food: Loaded Salad – tons of veggies with a light vinaigrette and pecan crusted grilled fish

Favorite thing to cook: Truffle pasta, Lasagna, cheese grits, Mac & Cheese 

Favorite Spice/Flavor: I rarely use spice.  Usually just salt, pepper and fresh herbs.  

Favorite Food: Anything fresh.  With all the local green markets, I love to cook with locally grown, fresh ingredients.  

Favorite Sweet Treat: Magnolia Bakery Banana pudding

Favorite “fall back” food : Whole wheat wrap with greens, cherry tomatoes, raw onions and cheese, or an egg sandwich.   

Secret Indulgence: Dark chocolate with sea salt.  

Best tip you ever learned about cooking: When cooking for a crowd, you can still do it cheap!  Cutting out cheeses and meats helps cut cost.  I also always have a fresh baguette and olive oil sitting out, so guest can fill up!

What you wish other people knew about cooking: Make the food look good before you eat it.  It’s more satisfying (also makes people think you worked hard). 

What do you think is the most challenging part of cooking: space.  In my tiny NYC apt, my kitchen is also my living room.  I have a mini oven and a small fridge with one counter that is 2 feet long.  That’s it.  I usually place a cutting board over my stove to create extra work space.  But that only works when I’m not using the stove.  I also have no cabinet space for appliances, so I cook with only the essentials.  I have to cook a few hearty dishes instead of several smaller dishes, since I don't have space for dishes sitting around.  This forces me to plan ahead with 1 or 2 great dishes.        

Favorite Recipe: It changes.  Right now I love grilled chicken stuffed with sun dried tomatoes and feta cheese.  I'm also on a health kick, so I'm enjoying learning different grilled fish dishes. 
 
Anything else you can think of: When dining in NYC restaurants, if I eat something I love, I ask for the recipe.  9 times out of 10 they will give it to me.  


Don't forget you can get posts via email rather than having to check back every day...

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner




No comments:

Post a Comment