Monday, April 4, 2011

A recipe I can't wait to try...

Prosciutto: dry-cured spiced Italian ham usually sliced thin

What a beautiful tablescape!
I am not a ham lover.  For as long as I can remember my mom has gotten honey baked hams for Thanksgiving and every year she also has to make a turkey because I refuse to eat the ham.  I just do not like the way ham tastes.  However, I do like Prosciutto.  I know, it is probably just a mental thing as to why I like it but not regular ham but for some reason I do.  I think it goes back to 2 year s ago when I went to Italy with the husband's family. While we were there I began to acquire a taste for some of the Italian staples that I didn't like before including olive oil, tomatoes, and prosciutto.  If you have never been on a trip where they serve the local far fresh, you probably don't understand what I mean.  But there is just something about eating the fresh food that really changes your palette.  I began to like pineapples when I visited  markets in Hawaii, began to like plain bread when I visited Paris bakeries, and the above foods when I visited Italy.  I also am madly in love with goat cheese.  I could honestly eat it straight out of the package (but due to its cost, I don't).  So when I saw this recipe that combined goat cheese, prosciutto, lemon, olive oil, and arugula I knew it was a match made in heaven.  I haven't tried it yet but decided to go ahead and post it so that you could have the joy of attempting it also.  This recipe is from Saveur magazine and was passed on to me in an email.  When I opened the email and began reading the recipe I was instantly in love.  Not only is it a great combination of ingredients but it would make a lovely appetizer for a shower, girls party or any other event where someone would enjoy the great ingredients.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I imagine I will.  

Prosciutto Rolls
Ingredients:
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp. grated lemon zest
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
6 oz. soft goat cheese, at room temperature
2–3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
12 slices (not paper-thin) prosciutto, halved crosswise
1⁄2 cup fig preserves
1⁄2 bunch arugula, trimmed
Freshly ground black pepper

Whisk oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice together in a small bowl and set aside
Mix goat cheese and garlic together in another small bowl and set aside
Spread a thin layer of the goat cheese mixture on each piece of prosciutto, spread a thin layer of fig preserves over cheese, and top with 1–2 arugula leaves
Drizzle with some of the lemon vinaigrette and season to taste with pepper
Roll prosciutto up around filling and arrange on serving platter, seam side down
Garnish platter with parsley, if you like.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in love with this recipe! Quaint and classy. I love the table display too.

    ReplyDelete