Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tuesday's Tip - Chicken Stock

"I love chicken. I would eat chicken fingers on Thanksgiving if it were socially acceptable. "

What a cute quote and I have to admit that I too love chicken.  Especially today, as I'm home sick and nothing sounds better than chicken noodle soup.  I don't have the energy to make a pot of it but I thought discussing chicken stock would be a great tip for today.  One of the best money saving tips I have learned in cooking so far is that of making your own stocks.  It is much cheaper to buy the whole chicken, use what you need for your meal and save the bones for a stock to be made at a later date.  Not only is it so much cheaper it is also a lot healthier, you can moniter the salt and fat amounts and adjust according to your diet.  Since learning this I don't throw anything away. 
 I actually have a drawer in my freezer that I consider my "stock drawer" in here I have ziplock freezer bags to hold vegetable scraps, chicken bones and any other type of meat stock I'd want to make.  Before I share the recipe let me encourage you to create a stock bag in your freezer.  Don't throw away any scraps from vegetables or meat bones.  You can save everything from the papery outside of the onion to carrot peels to vegetables that are about to go bad.  When you have enough saved make a pot of stock, even if you don't need it then you can freeze it in small containers and use it for later.  Just make sure when freezing to drop the temperature fast so as not to increase the likelyhood of bacteria growing in your stock.  The best way to do this is to immerse the pot you stock is in into a sink filled with ice water.  Stir the stock until the temperature lowers and then immediately put away.  When using the stock again I find it best to place it in a saucepan while frozen and bring it up to a low boil for a few minutes just to make sure that the bacteria is cooked out.  Below is the recipe I hope you enjoy!!!

Homemade Chicken Stock
Ingredients:
2 lbs of chicken bones (about 1 whole chicken)
2 onions (or a lot of onion scraps)
4 carrotts (or a lot of carrott peels)
4 cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
2 tbs tomato paste (can use leftover tomatoes or omit if not available)
thyme (I sprinkle in some powdered thyme as I often don't have the fresh kind)
black pepper
any other herbs you have that do not have a sharp taste (such as parsley)
cold water to cover

In a large stockpot saute carrots, onions, and garlic until slightly soft
Add remaining ingredients and cover with enough water to cover all ingredients
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 3-4 hours
Strain well and use in 3 days or freeze for up to 4 months

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Court! What a great, efficient, healthy way to have chicken, AND chicken stock!!! I will have to try this. You ROCK my friend =)

    ReplyDelete