Sunday, June 12, 2011

A recipe I can’t wait to try… Strawberry-Avocado Salsa with Cinnamon Tortilla Chips


A girl told me my lips looked like somebody had pressed strawberry yogurt against my face.

Katherine Heigl quotes 


I love chips and salsa.  I mean to the point where my husband makes fun of me.  In fact if you asked me my comfort food I would probably that it’s tortilla chips with melted cheese and salsa.  I try not to eat it that much because I really can’t stop.  I love them.  So when I came across this creative recipe for unique chips and salsa from Cooking Light I knew I had to share it with you.  I can’t wait to try it… in fact I may just have to stop and pick up the ingredients on the way home from church today so I can make it. However, I may be making a few changes like using non-stick spray on the tortillas instead of oil and using high fiber tortillas as I’m doing weight watchers right now and want to bring the points value down a little bit.  In case you’re wondering current the recipe (as is) has a points plus value of 4.  Along with being great it sounds like a wonderful summer party appetizer.  So without further ado… here’s a great recipe idea. 


Strawberry-Avocado Salsa with Cinnamon Tortilla Chips (from Cooking Light Magazine)
12 servings

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons canola oil
6 (6 inch) whole wheat tortillas
2 tsp sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 ½ cups finely chopped and peeled ripe avocado
1 cup finely chopped strawberries
2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
1 tsp minced seeded jalapeño pepper
2 tsp fresh lime juice
3/8 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350
Brush oil evenly over 1 side of the tortillas
Combine cinnamon and sugar
And sprinkle evenly over oil side of tortilla
Cut each tortilla into 12 wedges
Arrange in single layer on 2 baking sheets
Bake for at 350 for 10 minutes or until crisp
Combine avocado and remaining ingredients
Stir gently to combine

Serving size 6 chips with about 3 tablespoons of salsa

Nutritional Info:
Calories: 138
Fat: 6.7
Protein: 2.8
Fiber: 3.6
Carbs: 17.3
Points + value: 4



Don't forget you can get posts via email rather than having to check back every day...

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment