Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tuesday's Tip plus baked Zucchini Fries and Marsala Turkey Burger



Cookies are made of butter and love.  ~Norwegian Proverb


Today's tip is very simple and concerns cookies.  Now I'm not sure if you're like me but when I make cookies I cannot keep them at home after I make them.  If I do I will eat them all so most of the time I'll take them to work, or the husband will take them to work, or we'll take them to our Bible study groups on Sunday morning.  However, a few months back I learned a great tip for storing and shipping cookies... bread!  Now if you've heard of it you know what I'm talking about and if you haven't heard of it then you probably think I'm crazy.  Either way next time you make a batch of cookies when you put it in your Tupperware to store until later pop in a piece of bread.  It will keep the cookies moist and tasting like they just came out of the oven.  This is a great use of the heel of the bread!  If it doesn't work for you feel free to message back but I promise it is one of the best tips I think I've ever learned.  Now on to some recipes!!!  Last night I found lean ground turkey breast on sale and decided to cook up some quick turkey burgers.  I also had some zucchini in the fridge but I was craving something a little crunchy so I mixed a few things together and found 2 winning recipes.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!



Zucchini Fries
Ingredients:
2 large zucchini's cut into sticks
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp cumin 
1/8 tsp ground mustard
dash of salt and pepper
3 TBSP Panko (Japanese Bread Crumbs)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees
In a large bowl toss together Zucchini and spices
Add some olive oil if it is not wet enough for the spices to stick
Once well mixed toss with the Panko
Place on cookie sheet
Bake until slightly browned, flip and bake on other side until slightly browned
Serve warm


Marsala Turkey Burgers
Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground turkey
1/2 sweet onion (minced)
2 egg whites
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 cups portabella mushrooms
1/4 cup Marsala wine
1 cup chicken stock


In a large bowl gently mix together turkey, sweet onion, bread crumbs, and egg whites
Shape into patties and place into fridge or freezer to firm up slightly
Brush both sides with oil and grill
Top with cheddar cheese if desired


To make Marsala Mushrooms
Place a small amount of olive oil into pan
Cook mushrooms over medium high heat until slightly browned and semi-soft
Add Marsala wine and chicken broth
Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until all sauce has evaporated
Serve over turkey burgers
(this is also a great steak topping)


*note to those who avoid consuming alcohol in their diets please note that all alcohol will be cooked off if using this process, it is much like making banana's foster, flambe, or any other where all alcohol is lost in the cooking process

No comments:

Post a Comment