Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Roast Italian Chicken

The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'.

Cute quote! Made me smile when I read it.   And REALLY cute kitchen!  Last week when I was at Publix they had a great deal on whole chickens.  So I bought 2 of them and put them in the freezer knowing I could make them in the future.  I knew however, that I wanted to come up with a new recipe because as much as I love my old one for roast chicken (found here) I thought the husband was getting a little bored of it and I promised myself I would never settle into a repertoire of 5 recipes I rotate through... way too boring for me!  So that thought combined with my mom's surplus of basil that she passed on to me I decided to come up with some sort of roast Italian chicken.  I do have to admit I was a little intimidated before I started this recipe as I was just kind of pulling off my taste buds completely and with a roast chicken you can't taste as you cook.  Needless to say I was terrified it was going to be a complete flop.  On the contrary, it turned out amazing!!!  I actually think I like it as much as I do my favorite Greek version (mentioned above).  Here's the recipe... enjoy!



Roast Italian Chicken:
Ingredients:

1 whole chicken (mine was 4 lbs)
sliced garlic
1 small can of tomato sauce
1/2 sweet onion cut in quarters
1 entire head of garlic (3 cloves removed and set aside and the rest sliced across the top as shown in picture to right)
1 TBSP capers (optional)
dash of balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 bunch of basil (3 leaves removed and set aside)
1/8 cup sundried tomatoes
kosher salt
black pepper


Preheat oven to 400 degrees
smashed garlic
Smash 3 garlic cloves and remove peel (will look like picture to right)
Place garlic and olive oil in a small sauce pot and cook on LOW on oven (you just want to infuse the oil with garlic)
In a bowl mix lightly the canned tomato sauce, quartered onion, capers and balsamic
Remove un-pleasant parts from chicken (aka giblets, etc...) 
Rinse and pat dry with paper towels
Sprinkle inside cavity with salt and pepper
Roast Italian Chicken
Stuff in the basil sprig, sliced garlic head, and pour in onion tomato sauce mixture
Place breast side up in roasting pan
Slightly cut away the skin from the chicken breast (so that you can stuff it, don't cut it off!)
Chop sundried tomatoes and 3 basil leaves
Stuff the sundried tomatoes and basil under the skin of the chicken
Remove the oil from the stove
Brush chicken with the oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and place in oven (cook according to directions on package time varies per pound)
Brush several times throughout with oil
Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before cutting (remember this is really important to keep it juicy to see why click here!)
Plate beautifully (remember your eyes help convey what something tastes like)

Serve and enjoy! 


Don't forget you can get posts via email rather than having to check back every day...

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment