Friday, February 20, 2015

Priorities

Merriam Webster dictionary defines priorities as "something that is more important than other things and that needs to be done or dealt with first".  However I could easily define it as the aspect of life that constantly seems to slip through my grasp and get tangled up in meaningless things.  In my life lately it seems as if the theme of priorities continues to reoccur.  Whether it is in the book I'm currently reading, a verse I am challenged by, or someone's shared Facebook post.  I think one of the hardest aspects of becoming a mother is understanding this balance of priorities.  Going to be completely honest here and share something I am not proud of.  When we first adopted Jadyn I did not spend set aside time with God for months, that's right not days or weeks but months.  Yes, I would still go to church and I would be in the word here and there but it wasn't a priority for me.  To be more honest that biggest priority in my life at that time was SLEEP!  I felt completely exhausted all the time.  I felt I didn't have enough to get through the day and every time I would try to spend time with God I would end up taking a nap instead.  It was 6 months after he was born that God convicted me with this verse "Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually!" (1 Chronicles 16:11). I remember reading that verse and being in tears because I had been going about it all wrong.  I was doing everything in my strength rather than resting in His.  Does that mean I changed, well in that area I did but I still fall victim to the meaningless every day.  I get overwhelmed with the simple, ridiculous things that catch my attention and time; dishes in the sink, crumbs on the floor, laundry needing folding, the list goes on.  Not that any of those don't have a time and place but I also don't want to miss out on the little boy handing me a hotwheel and proudly saying the word "car" at the same time.  I don't want to miss out on the conversation with my husband sharing his thoughts on what he thinks community within a church should look like.  I don't want to miss a conversation with a college age girl when we talk about using the gifts God has given her.  I don't want to miss the opportunity to text my sister and let her know I'm praying for her.   Most of all though,  I don't want to miss time with the one who truly gives me strength.  And for that... the dishes can wait.

From Tampa with Love,
Courtney 

No comments:

Post a Comment