Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Savory Oatmeal

Where I'm From:
by Allison Greer
I am from matching dresses,
hair bows, and from fresh water lakes.
It smells of dirt, as the
wind blows through the old oak trees.
I'm from a one stop light,
small, quaint town.

I am from orange trees and orange blossoms,
from popsicles melting on
the old wicker swing.
From Claudia I learned
to straighten up and fly right.
I'm from cheese pizza,
from mom's red lipstick and red nail polish.

I come from follow your heart,
from dress-up clothes and dolls.
I am from Richard, that tiny
old Mason Jar and wonderful role models.
The glassy lake being broken under,
water skis that follow behind our boat.
Girls laughing on swings as the Spanish moss sways high above.

I am from heartfelt memories, scrapbooked
pictures through the years, decorated and preserved.
I'm from chicken nuggets and laundry baskets
in front of the television.
I am from magazines and sisters, who
never go to bed angry.
I'm from white sand beach front, happiness,
and pink strawberry cake.

My youngest sister wrote this poem and I love it so much. It totally describes in a completely unique way the things my 2 sisters and I were brought up around. I had to share it today instead of my typical quote.  I also had to share it because this next dish reminds me a lot of my sister.
Growing up she would always eat peanut butter and cheese sandwiches for lunch, yep you read right.  My other sister and I thought they were disgusting sounding!  But I've realized as I've gotten older that maybe she was on the right track.  Peanut butter with cheese packs you full of some good protein that will keep you lasting until dinner.  This next dish is a cheesy, savory oatmeal.  When I first read about savory oatmeal I didn't know what to think but decided to venture and try it and I can't believe I've been missing out!!!  It almost tastes like eating macaroni and cheese for breakfast!  I knew I had to share, and guess what!!!!  Tomorrow is the last day of the Oatmeal Challenge! I can't believe it!!!  I cannot wait to have an omelet on Thursday morning!!!!

Cheesy Oatmeal
Savory Cheesy Oatmeal
Ingredients:

1/2 cup of oats
1/2 cup of water
1/4 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
sprinkle of cayenne pepper

Cook oatmeal in water according to directions
Remove from heat
Add in cheese and Cayenne
Stir until melted
Sit back and savor the cheesy goodness while you wonder why you've never thought to try this before!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment