Sunday, May 22, 2011

10 Recipes Every Newlywed Needs to Know

Love seems the swiftest but it is the slowest of all growths.  No man or woman really knows what perfect love is until they have been married a quarter of a century. 
Mark Twain

I love this turquoise/yellow wedding
I'm celebrating my first anniversary today!  It is so crazy to think how fast a year flew by.  Before getting married I had this thought (actually we should probably call it an illusion) that I would cook a new dish for dinner every night, keep an immaculate house, decorate, spend time with the husband and still have time for things like running, working, friends, etc...  Sadly in about month 6 of our marriage I realized this was definitely not going to happen.  At that point I had a basket of laundry to do, the floor needed to be vacuumed, I didn't feel like cooking and couldn't remember the last time I had ran.  It was then that I realized married life wasn't the clean houses I saw when I went over to visit someone (because they shoved everything in the closet before hand), it wasn't the elaborate dinners (because really they had picked it up at the local restaurant before hand), it wasn't a perfectly designed house (because they had hired an interior decorator for that) or the relaxed feeling I felt when around the couple.  Actually it may have been the relaxed feeling but that was mainly because the wife (or husband) had taken the advice in the parenthesis above so really they were just chilling.

Turquoise/Orange Inspiration
Joking aside though I did come to realize that marriage is more than living up to these standards I had set in my head.  Marriage was loving someone, serving together, standing side by side, and (for those who are a Christian like me) bringing God glory in all you do.  I quickly learned that in reality the laundry could wait until tomorrow, the house would always need something else dusted, decorating is a lifetime project, and some nights it's ok to order in.  I do have to say though in regards to cooking there were a few amazing dishes that really helped me get through this first year of marriage.  If you know me you know I love experimenting with different dishes but every now and then even I have to have those standby recipes to fall back on when everything else fails.  So for those of you who are newlyweds, write these down! For the rest of you who already have your recipe "repertoire" why not consider adding some of these.  I promise they are delicious, filling and always seem to please both the husband, guests, and myself.


Turquoise/White Inspiration

The Newlywed Repertoire

 Recipe 1: Roast Chicken (you can find this recipe post here) This recipe has everything you need, it makes a good amount of food, it's healthy and it's cheap.  Another plus is this recipe always impresses others.  

Recipe 2: Turkey Noodle Soup (you can find this recipe post here) At some point during your first year of marriage someone is going to get a cold, a flu or you'll just be craving a good pot of soup.  This is a great recipe to have on hand as you can really control the calories, fat, and salt that go into the soup.   Also it's a great way to use up the roast chicken from above.  Just swap out chicken for turkey and cook as recipe states.  

Recipe 3: Mom's Country Fried Steak (you can find this recipe post here) This is great if you (or the hubby) are craving a good southern meal.  While I can't promise it's light on the calories it is the ultimate in southern comfort food (I think only surpassed by mac n cheese or collard greens).  A great addition to your recipe box!

Recipe 4: Sarah's Pot Roast (you can find this recipe post here) When one of the college age girls I teach in my Bible study gave me this recipe I was amazed.  It truly is greatness.  This is perfect for the busy newlywed!  Just put this in the crock pot while you clean house, fold laundry, etc... or... go to the beach!

Recipe 5: Grilled Mediterranean Veggies (you can find this recipe post here) This is probably one of my favorite recipes.  If you can get this down pat you can swap out pretty much any veggie you can imagine and use whatever is in season to save a little money.  This is the perfect side dish for almost any meal!

Recipe 6: Slow Cooker Beans (you can find this recipe post here) This is a great way to make amazing beans from cheapo dried beans.  You can set the crockpot before work, forget about it and come back later to perfectly cooked beans.  On a side note all engaged couples please make sure to get a crock pot on your registry even if you don't think you'll ever use it, its a fabulous way to make dried beans not to mention the pot roast from above!

Recipe 7: A Simple Baguette (you can find this recipe post here) Now before you get freaked out over the thought of making bread and exit out of this post... read on.  I was terrified to make bread but this baguette recipe is simply amazing.  It works wonderful and always turns out great.  Not to mention it totally impresses others you have over for dinner.  Serve it with a little olive oil dipping sauce (here) and you have a beautiful appetizer.

Recipe 8: Grilled Flank Steak (you can find this recipe here) I don't make much red meat but when I do I love to use Flank Steak.  It's an inexpensive cut that always turns out great!

Recipe 9: Hearty Berry Struesel Muffins (you can find this recipe here) I had to throw a breakfast recipe in here because no doubt at some point you will be asked to go to something where you need to bring a breakfast item and this is a great one.  On another thought it's great just to make at home on a weekend to eat throughout the week.  

Recipe 10: Pasta Al Pomodoro packed with veggies (NEW RECIPE BELOW!)  This is a great healthy recipe to make that is easier than you thought.  This was a recipe I edited from an idea I had for plain pasta al pomodoro, I just made this healthier with more veggies.  If you're not a veggie lover the original recipe will be posted sometime next week so look for it!

Pasta Al Pomodoro Packed With Veggies

Serves ~8
Ingredients:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
1/2 green pepper, minced
1/2 yellow pepper, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup of sliced white mushrooms
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 28 oz. can peeled tomatoes, puréed in a food processor
Kosher salt
3 large fresh basil sprigs
12 oz. spaghetti
2 Tbsp. cubed unsalted butter
1/4 cup finely grated Pecorino

Heat extra-virgin olive oil in a pot over medium-low heat
Add minced onion and peppers and cook, stirring, until soft, about 12 minutes
Add garlic and mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 2-4 minutes
Add crushed red pepper flakes; cook for 1 minute more
Increase heat to medium, add puréed tomatoes and season lightly with kosher salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens slightly and flavors come together, about 20 minutes
Remove pan from heat, stir in basil sprigs, and set aside.
Meanwhile, bring water to a boil for pasta
Season with salt; add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until about 2 minutes before tender
Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water.
Discard basil and heat pot over high heat
Stir in reserved pasta water to loosen sauce; bring to a boil
Add pasta and cook, stirring, until sauce coats pasta and pasta is al dente, about 2 minutes
Remove pan from heat; add butter and cheese; toss until cheese melts
Transfer to warm bowls; serve with more cheese, if desired.

I hope that all of these recipes are of great use to you!  To celebrate our anniversary I've included a few photos from the wedding below... enjoy!


Our simple elegant wedding cake

on my parents front porch

best bridesmaids ever

in the gorgeous church we were married in

outside the gorgeous church

5/22/10

Our honeymoon


Don't you just love my photographer for the wedding?  She did an amazing job!  Check her out at www.AshleyMcCormick.com she comes highly recommended from me!



No comments:

Post a Comment